Tuesday, June 16, 2009

HOLES, THE LORD AND BEING GLAD

Summer commented on my last post and asked me if I had ever read Beth Moore's book, Get Out of the Pit. And the answer is yes! I've read it several times. Pages are marked and sentences are highlighted in my copy. I even went to hear Beth (via satellite) speak on that very subject.

I've read lots of scriptures about not falling into pits and getting out of them and I've had lots of experiences with both. . . falling in and getting out. In fact one of my favorite chapters in the Bible is Psalm 40. It begins:

I waited patiently for the Lord;
And He inclined to me,
And heard my cry.

He also brought me up out of this horrible pit,

Out of the miry clay,

And set my feet upon a rock,

And established my steps.

He has put a new song in my mouth-

Praise to our God;

Many will see it and fear,

And will trust in the Lord
.

So. . . how did I find myself in a hole once again?

I have a few ideas but I don't really know for sure.

But I do know that God once again has been faithful.

I don't believe it is ever God's will for any of His children to fall. Or to be in a pit.

But I do know that He allows us to be sifted and refined. A lot of times that period can feel like a big, fat pit!!!

God can also step back and let us do our own things. . . our own ways. To me, one of the biggest "oh no" verses in the Bible is found in Psalms 81.

I am the Lord your God,
Who brought you out of Egypt;
Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.
But my people would not heed My voice,
And Israel would have none of Me.

So I gave them over to their own stubborn heart,

To walk in their own counsels.


I don't ever want Him to turn me over to my own ways. And as much as I whine and complain, I never want Him to let me live under my own counsel.

Disaster written all over that one!

I have even written a prayer beside that passage in my Bible. It says, "Please Lord, no."

Just the other day I read this passage from my devotional book by Charles Spurgeon (whom I consider to be one of my best friends and I can't wait to meet him in heaven). He said exactly what my heart wants to say.

"The summary of experience is the best that any child of God can present. It is true that we endure trials, but it is just as true that we are delivered out of them. It is true that we have our corruptions, and sadly we acknowledge this, but it is just as true that we have an all-sufficient Savior who overcomes these corruptions and delivers us from their dominion. In looking back, it would be wrong to deny that we have been in the Slough of Despond and that we have crept along the Valley of Humiliation, but it would be equally wicked to forget that we have been through them safely and profitably; we have not remained in them, thanks to our Almighty Helper and Leader, who has brought us out to a place of abundance. The deeper our troubles, the louder our thanks to God, who has led us through them all and preserved us until today. Our griefs cannot spoil the melody of our praise; we consider them to be the bass line of our life's song. "The Lord has done great things for us; we are glad."

None of my circumstances have changed.

I still face the same struggles and deal with the same hurts.

But, when God pulls me out of a pit, I'm not the same.

Coming face to face once again with God's mercy. . . His compassion. . . His grace and patience. . . changes me.

It changes me from the inside- out.

I'm sure I'll fall again. There's a good chance I'll find myself in a pit again.

But I hope if it happens, I will remember that it won't take long before these clay covered feet are standing on The Rock again and I'll be singing, "THE LORD HAS DONE GREAT THINGS FOR ME; AND I AM GLAD!!!!!!"

And, I'll be singing it louder than ever before!



1 comment: