Tuesday, June 29, 2010

IN THE THUNDER


As I was thinking about writing my Gratitude List for this week, I realized, that in the secret places of my heart, I was writing another list.

An Un-gratitude List.

It was a hard week.

Believing that we must come to God with a pure and honest heart, I began to share with Him the the things I had on my Un-gratitude List.

disappointments

dreams and expectations that didn't come to pass
a bad cold and painful throat infection during a busy week
emotions that didn't want to stay in control

just plain old hurt

As I shared, I heard God say the same thing I always hear Him say when I let down the guard and trust Him with honesty . . .

"I know."

Laying in my bed with the sun starting to shine through the blinds, I heard a bird singing its morning song.

It was clear the bird liked what it was hearing. Its song was loud and persistent.

After a little while, I heard another sound in the distance. The sound of rumbling thunder.

Funny. Hearing sounds so completely different.

A cheery morning song sung by a tiny bird and thunder that warned of a storm that was on its way.

**********************************

There are times when life is just great. Times when the puzzle pieces of our lives are all fitting together. Times when enough dreams are coming true and enough expectations are being met to balance the ones that aren't. There are times when our emotions are kept in check. The band-aids we've placed over our hearts are holding in the hurt and pain life has brought. Times when there's money in the bank, food in the pantry, and everyone we love is healthy and they are safely tucked into their beds at night. Times when life just flows from one good time to another.

Thank you God for your goodness. For your promise that you will never leave me or forsake me. Thank you for telling me that I don't have to be afraid. Thank you that you have plans for my life and that they are good. Thank you that you are loving to all those you have made. Thank you for your compassion, your mercy and the abundance that flows from your hands. Thank you for loving me and the ones that I love. I praise You. You are truly worthy.

And, then those are those times when nothing makes any sense. Times when happiness looks like it's been taken off the table. Or, it's just being served to other people. Happiness, it seems, isn't on your menu.

The band-aids that have held your emotions in the private places of your heart, aren't sticking. You want them to stick. You want to stay in control. But, the band-aids, they just won't stick.

You pick yourself up from the fall of one disappointment and boom, you've been brought down by another.

You try to put the pieces of your life together. You know they are suppose to make a picture, usually a nice one. Like the one on the box. But, the pieces won't fit. You find you have pieces that are missing. Pieces left over.

You want to quit but it isn't on the option list.

What do you do?

What do I do?

Thank you God for your goodness. For your promise that you will never leave me or forsake me. Thank you for telling me that I don't have to be afraid. Thank you that you have plans for my life and that they are good. Thank you that you are loving to all those you have made. Thank you for your compassion, your mercy and the abundance that flows from your hands. Thank you for loving me and the ones that I love. I praise You. You are truly worthy.


We sing.

We give thanks.

We don't let the thunder drown out our voices.

We don't let the clouds, that come with the thunder, blind us to the gifts God has for us every single day.

We become persistent.

The louder the thunder, the louder we sing.

And, we love what we hear.

And, so does He.


I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving,
And will call upon the name of the Lord.
Psalm 116:17



My Gratitude List


56. that "He knows"

57. that thunder can't drown out a singing bird

58. stories of faith

57. late birthday cards


58. antibiotics

59. Dr. C

60. history with a special person









61. Ethan's arms around me


62. another visit with Mark

63. a friend that's not afraid to hug










64. burdens carried
by God, not me

65. that we don't have to guess what God is like

66. a washer and dryer

67. that the LAW has been fulfilled

68. a son that comes home









69. oil skimmers

70. hearing Bayley's tail hit things because she's happy

71. safe people

72. realizing something you hated was just God answering a prayer

73. a puzzle piece to life that fits

74. Procrit shots for my dad

75. the promise of a future

76. weak tropical storms and hurricanes

77. stumbling across an encouraging blog

78. that my sister is there for my parents

79. good corn on the cob

80. shrimp witho
ut oil on them












1 comment:

  1. Those were the days sitting on the steps of "the house across the bay" So much fun, such happy memories. What wonderful grandparents you all had that so unselfishly provided everything they could to make you happy. Remember the baby powder Granny would also put on you all after your bath. What a wonderful woman she was.

    ReplyDelete