Monday, July 16, 2012

NEEDING AND GLORIFYING

"Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do,
 that the Father may be glorified in the Son." 
 John 14:13





"Suppose you are totally paralyzed, and can do nothing for yourself but talk. And suppose a strong and reliable friend promised to live with you, and to do whatever you needed done. How could you glorify your friend if a stranger came to see you? Would you glorify his generosity and strength by trying to get out of bed and carry him?   No! You would say, "Friend, please come and lift me up, and would you put a pillow behind me?" And so, your visitor would learn from your requests that you are helpless and that your friend is strong and kind. You glorify your friend by needing him and asking him for help and counting on Him."

John Piper, from Desiring God


I understand what Piper is saying.

I see it every day.

I knew that Jim was a good dad.

I knew that he was a great dad.

But until Ethan became completely dependent upon him, I never really understood what kind of a dad Jim really was.




Jim is most "glorified as a dad" when he takes care of Ethan's every need.

He is most "glorified as a dad" when  Ethan asks of Jim for his daily wants and needs, and Jim does his best to meet them.

Jim is most "glorified as a strong dad" when Ethan is at his weakest.

Jim is "most glorified as a dad" when Ethan asks his dad to do for him what he can't do for himself.


I'm not saying that a child has to be physically dependent for their dad to be an amazing dad.

There are many, many ways to be dependent and weak, and to recognize a dad's love for his child.


This is only a physical picture, and not a perfect one, because Jim is not a perfect father. As I was sharing my thoughts about this with Jim, he continually reminded me of how often he fails in his actions, and in his attitude, and that he knows his strength only comes from God.

No, it isn't a perfect picture. Only God gives perfectly. Only His strength is strong enough. Only His heart is continuously pure.


The picture above is an imperfect picture of a perfect spiritual truth: 

 God is most glorified when we are completely dependent upon Him.  (2 Corinthians 12:9)


How many times have I quoted the first few words of John 14:13 to myself:

"Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do ..."

Yet I tend to forget the last part of the verse:

"That the Father will be glorified in the Son."


I forget that the purpose of my life is to glorify the Father through His Son.

I forget that when I am weak, He is strong.

I forget that He is most glorified, when the thorn remains and His strength is all sufficient.

I forget when I think that being weak is a sin, and when I assume that surely He is tired of seeing me once again fall on my face.






Ethan asks. He asks all day long.

His needs never go away. In many ways, as God continues to bless him with healing, his needs have actually increased.

And when I take the time to stop and really look at what all Jim does, I am amazed.

And when I take the time to consider myself, and my weakness and how much I need My Father, I am amazed.

Amazed at His Strength.

Amazed at His Grace.

Amazed at His Provision and His Patience.

Amazed how He Answers me when I call.

I do have a friend, who is closer than a brother or an earthly father, that has promised to live with me and to be my strength in my weakness, to be my rest when I am tired, and to be my healer when I am broken.

He is a good friend.

He is the best friend.

I hope you know that He wants to be your friend too.


"The LORD is my strength and shield. 
I trust Him with all my heart. 
He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. 
I burst out in songs of thanksgiving."  
 Psalm 28:7 




Gratitude List #679-693



imperfect pictures that tell perfect truths

Seth and Ethan's dad

that I wouldn't bring my daddy back if I could

the freedom to write my thoughts

the freedom to mess those thoughts up

hope for friends and their physical healing

my sister and all she does for my mother

a way to continue to provide my mother with her extraordinary-God-given caregivers

an appraisal that was more than expected

my brother-in-law and his willingness to help

and once again my neice and great nephew who celebrated July birthdays

for a church that encourages Seth


that God continuously redeems my weakness and my disappointments to glorify Himself - 

How amazing is that???




1 comment:

  1. That man truly is amazing Cherie. ALL Glory to God! Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete